Weeks, Charles G.

Charles G. Weeks U.S. Marine Corps WWII
Charles G. Weeks U.S. Marine Corps WWII

Alternative Views:

Date of Birth: September 21, 1923
Died On: 4/14/1994
Street Address: 115 Railroad Avenue
Service Number: 502048
Branch of Service: U.S. Marine Corps - Company "C", Sixth Pioneer Battalion, Sixth Marine Division

Veteran Code: USMC-70

Charles G. Weeks

Charles G. Weeks was born Sept. 21, 1923 in Port Chester, NY to William T. and Jennie Balcom Weeks. In Rye his family lived at 115 Theodore Fremd Avenue and were members of the Presbyterian Church. Charles attended Rye public schools was a Rye High School Graduate, Class of 1942.

He enlisted November 30, 1942 and served in the U.S. Marine Corps during World War II. Charles served on Okinawa with Company "C", Sixth Pioneer Battalion attached to the 22nd Marine regiment of the 6th Marine Division.

The Battle of Okinawa was the last major battle of World War II, and one of the bloodiest.

On April 1, 1945, during the invasion of Okinawa, the 22nd Marine Regiment landed on Green Beach where they secured the left flank of the landing force. Following the landing they pushed north with the rest of the 6th Marine Division and secured the northern portion of the island.

On 13 April, the 2nd Battalion, 22nd Marines reached Hedo-Misaki at the northernmost tip of the island. They were eventually pulled down south and placed in the line to the right of the 1st Marine Division where they would eventually secure the city of Naha while taking very heavy casualties.

On May 16, the 22nd Marines was ordered to capture Sugar Loaf Hill which was captured with the 29th Marines in two days. Commanding officer, Harold C. Roberts, was killed by Japanese sniper on the last day of attack on Sugar Loaf Hill.

After the fighting on Okinawa ended on June 21, the 22nd Marines were moved to Guam to rest and refit.

Charles received the Purple Heart after being wounded June 9, 1945 during the Battle of Okinawa. In a letter home he assured his parents he was getting very good care "in a hospital far away from Okinawa."

For its actions at Okinawa, the 6th Marine Division (and reinforcing units) earned a Presidential Unit Citation. The citation reads:

For extraordinary heroism in action against enemy Japanese forces during the assault and capture of Okinawa, April 1 to June 21, 1945. Seizing Yontan Airfield in its initial operation, the SIXTH Marine Division, Reinforced, smashed through organized resistance to capture Ishikawa Isthmus, the town of Nago and heavily fortified Motobu Peninsula in 13 days.

Later committed to the southern front, units of the Division withstood overwhelming artillery and mortar barrages, repulsed furious counterattacks and staunchly pushed over the rocky terrain to reduce almost impregnable defenses and capture
Sugar Loaf Hill.

Turning southeast, they took the capital city of Naha and executed surprise shore-to-shore landings on Oroku Peninsula, securing the area with its prized Naha Airfield and Harbor after nine days of fierce fighting. Reentering the lines in the south, SIXTH Division Marines sought out enemy forces entrenched in a series of rocky ridges extending to the southern tip of the island, advancing relentlessly and rendering decisive support until the last remnants of enemy opposition were exterminated and the island secured.

By their valor and tenacity, the officers and men of the SIXTH Marine Division, Reinforced contributed materially to the conquest of Okinawa, and their gallantry in overcoming a fanatic enemy in the face of extraordinary danger and difficulty adds new luster to Marine Corps history, and to the traditions of the United States Naval Service.

Secretary of the Navy James Forrestal for the President

After his honorable discharge on January 7, 1946, Charles returned home to Rye. On June 22, 1946, he married Sally Olmsted at Christ's Church in Rye. He later attended Kent State University in Ohio and the newlyweds resided there for a time.

Charles and Sally would return to Rye to start and raise their family. .

He worked as a superintendent of the buildings and grounds of the Rye City School District. He also was in business with his father as a carpenter and builder.

Charles served for 45 years as a volunteer member of the Milton Point Engine A Hose Company in Rye, where he was a captain. He was a member of the Rye Fish & Game Club and a member of the Disabled American Veterans.

Charles G. Weeks, School Building Superintendent and a longtime Rye resident, died April 14, 1994 at Greenwich (Conn.) Hospital. He was 70.

At the time of his death, in addition to his wife, he was survived by two daughters, Judith Weeks Padgett of Rye and Susan Weeks Little of Port Chester, a son, William Olmsted Weeks of Rye; and four grandchildren. a son, Steven, died in 1965.


Links to this Veterans History

  0 of 0 people found the following review helpful:
5 of 5 Correct birthdate June 4, 2023
Reviewer: Judy Weeks-Padgett from [email protected]  
Dad was born on September 21, 1923. He would have been 100 yrs old this year!
Thank you for doing all of this!

Was this review helpful to you?

  0 of 0 people found the following review helpful:
5 of 5 Charles Weeks April 11, 2023
Reviewer: FRANCIS J. HARRIGAN from [email protected]  
Charley played football with us in Dan Kelly’s yard and on Orchard Avenue
Along with other exploits before he went into the service…he was a great
Friend and a fine Gentleman…..

Was this review helpful to you?

  0 of 0 people found the following review helpful:
5 of 5 Birthdate November 11, 2020
Reviewer: Susan Little from [email protected]  
Dad was born in September. He was wounded on Okinawa

Was this review helpful to you?