Henry Cheves Hyde was born May 29, 1920, in Charleston, South Carolina, the son of Simeon Hyde and Isabella Middleton Cheves. He spent his early childhood in Charleston and then was a resident of Rye, New York, for most of his young adult life.
Henry had a brother Simeon and a sister Anne. In Rye his family lived on Holly Lane and were members of Christ's Church.
He attended Phillips Andover Academy and the Farragut Academy, and was a member of the famous World War II class of 1944 at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire.
During World War II, Henry served as an officer in the U.S. Navy.
Henry C. Hyde Training for Wings in Navy Air Service - Henry C. Hyde, of Stuyvesant Avenue, has completed the initial step in his training as a Naval Aviation cadet at the Navy Pre-Flight School, Chapel Hill, N. C, and has been transferred to the Naval Reserve Aviation Base at St. Louis, Mo. , for primary flight instruction.
Cadet Hyde was one of 162 in the Second Battalion to be graduated from the Chapel Hill school on September 5, after three months of intensive training resigned to prepare the cadets for combat flying to come. In addition to the important physical toughening phase, the pre-flight course includes military drill and instruction in Naval customs and basic ground school subjects. Cadet Hyde now faces three months of primary flight instruction and then three months of advanced training, before winning his wings .
Friday, September 11, 1942 THE RYE CHRONICLE PAGE FIVE
Henry was a naval aviator in the Pacific Theater. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and Air Medals for air sea rescue missions. He flew from the light cruiser USS Miami during the Philippines and Okinawa campaigns, rescuing a number of downed carrier pilots in enemy controlled waters. (See Discharge Record)
In 1948, Henry married Ellen Leigh Marlin of New Orleans, Louisiana, and Rye, New York. The couple would have three children and live to celebrate their 58th anniversary.
Henry's early business career included an extensive national training program with the Vick Chemical Co., and he was later employed in the international department of the old Royal Typewriter Co. in New York City.
Henry's pioneering spirit led him from the corporate world to rural Vermont as early as 1950, where he and his wife raised their three children in Chester. He was associated with the Bryant Grinder Corp. in Springfield for many years. He always enjoyed the outdoors and rural way of life.
He especially loved the old days" of rope tow skiing, family outings at Okemo Mountain, and picnicking and camping on his Weston property. Henry was very active in the Chester community, leading the effort for a new elementary school and serving for years on the vestry as a senior warden at St. Lukes Episcopal Church.
With several others in the community, he built the towns first tennis court and helped inspire many young people to learn the game. In 1970, Henry entered the real estate business as principal broker of Doane Associates in Londonderry.
Henry designed and built his home in Landgrove where he had spent many summers and vacations since the late 1940s. As much as he loved Vermont, he never lost his passion for saltwater sailing and spent many summers cruising with his brother off Marthas Vineyard and in Maine.
Henry Cheves Hyde, age 85, died May 18, 2006.
At the time of his death he was survived by his wife, Ellen Leigh Martin Hyde of Landgrove; a son, Henry Cheves Hyde Jr. of Falls Church, Virginia; two daughters, Leigh Hyde Adams (Mrs. Richard H. Adams) of Landgrove and Anne Hyde Degan (Mrs. Daniel J. Degan) of Norwich, Vermont; and grandchildren, Elisabeth, Lucy, Cameron and Mat. He is also survived by his brother, Simeon Hyde Jr. of Portland, Oregon, and his sister, Ann Hyde Long of Portsmouth, Virginia. A