Daniel H. Beary was born Sept 16, 1909, to Daniel H. and Sophie Burns Beary. In Rye his family lived at 175 Purchsae St. and were members of the Church of the Resurrection. Daniel attended parochial schools in Rye as well as the Peekskill Military Academy. He attended the University of Notre Dame and later graduated from Manhattan College in New York City.
Daniel was a member of one of Rye's oldest families. His grandfather, Michael Hayden Beary, settled in the area of Rye known as Dublin after the first Irish famine of the 1840s.
His father, Daniel Sr., was a builder who served on the first village board of Rye and was a founder of the Rye Fire Department. The Rye Library, the Methodist Church and the Barron estate, now the Rye Community Synagogue, were among the landmark Rye buildings he built
During World War II, Daniel enlisted June 3, 1943 served in the U.S. Army medical corps. He was stationed in China, Burma and India Theatre and was honorably discharged October 26, 1945.
After the war, he married Marianne McHugh October 18, 1946 at Resurrection Church in Rye. His wife was the Rye school district's first and only dental hygiene teacher. She was an early promoter, during the 1950s, of mouth guards for athletes.
Daniel worked in the pharmaceutical business fbr 35 years. He was a member and past president of the Rye Senior Citizens and a past member of the Rye Golf Club and the Rye Fire Department
Daniel H. Beary Jr., a retired marketing representative for several large pharmaceutical companies whose father built several of Rye's most famous buildings, died March 21, 1996 at his home in Rye. He was 86. Daniel, a lifelong Rye resident, died of complications from a stroke. He died peaceftilly with his wife at his side, said his nephew, Thomas Beary.
At the time of his death, in addition to his wife, survivors include a sister, Mary Beary Allphin of Rye. Three brothers, Thomas, Charles and William, and three sisters, Josephine Bury, Margaret Beary and Anne Billington, died earlier.