Douglas G. Herron
Douglas G. Herron was born Dec. 16, 1917, in Cleveland, Ohio to George William and Lynda Krueger Herron. The family lived briefly in Larchmont, NY and settled in at 45 Redfield Street, Rye, NY in 1922. He was educated in Rye, attending Milton School and graduating magna cum laude from Rye High School in 1935.
Douglas earned a Bachelors degree in Economics from Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, in 1939, where he was a member of the Brown Yacht Club and Brown Christian Association. He earned a degree in aviation sciences from the University of California at Berkeley, along with his private pilot's license.
Douglas served in the Coast Guard Reserve from 1941 to 1977, attaining the rank of Captain. He was called to active duty during both WW II and the Korean War, and served in the Reserve until his retirement. He belonged to Rye Post 128 of the American Legion. During his WW II tour of duty, he was photographed by National Geographic while landing General Patton on the shores of North Africa.
Lieut. Douglas Herron's Control Boat Leader in Assault on Enemy
Aboard a U. S. Coast Guard-Manned
Transport, somewhere in the Pacific
Lieutenant Douglas G.
Herron, U. S. Coast Guard, has become a familiar figure at invasions, for Lieutenant Herron's control boat led
assault waves to the hostile beaches
at Casablanca, Sicily, Makin Island
and the Marshall Islands.
Herron, who comes from Rye, New
York, has taken such notables into the
fire as General Patton in Africa. General Ralph C. Smith at Makin and assault troops of New York's own fighting 69th in the Gilbert Islands invasion.
Herron is entitled to wear ribbons
denoting service in the American.
European and Pacific-Asiatic theatres
of war. Since joining the Coast Guard
he has sailed every major ocean in
the world and is a shellback many
times over, having made repeated
trips across the equator.
Prior to entry into the Coast Guard
he was employed in the Department
of Public Relations, General Motors
Corporation. He is a graduate of Rye
High School, "Class of '35 and Brown
University Class of '39.
Although Herron has studied small
boat technique intensively in the Service, he says, "the most valuable training I have had for this work was in
Sea Scouting in Rye. New York.
The Rye Chronicle Friday, April 14, 1944
On Dec. 6, 1955, he married Anita Neumeyer, formerly of Bay City, Michigan. Locally, he was active in Scouting, attaining the rank of Eagle Scout and Quartermaster in Sea Scouts. As an adult, he was the long-time Scoutmaster of Rye's Troop 2 and a council member of the Hutchinson River Boy Scout Council. For his work as an adult leader, he was awarded the Silver Beaver.
Douglas volunteered for many years as Treasurer of the Rye Historical Society, doing the books on his lunch hour from Rye City Hall, across the Village Green. He was also active in the Rye Conservation Society/Rye Nature Center, a Board member of the Dad's Club of Rye H.S., and President of the SUNY Maritime College Parents Association.
He was an ordained Deacon and Elder of the Rye Presbyterian Church. Mr. Herron will be remembered for his life-long love of the water, especially sailing. As young men, He and his good friend Dick Close built a sailboat, named ''Egret, from scratch and often sailed in on Long Island Sound, waters he knew well.
Douglas G. Herron of Rye, retired Personnel Director for City of Rye and longtime Rye resident and community leader, died of natural causes on December 9, 2006 in Greenwich Hospital. He was 88. Prior to his twenty-year position with the City of Rye, Mr. Herron was with the American Bankers Association in NYC, and in Public Relations for General Motors, for which he traveled around the country presenting scientific shows.
He was survived by his wife Anita (Ann), his sisters Elaine Hadley of Hilton Head, SC and Nancy Neumeyer of Naples, FL, son James of Mountlake Terrace, Washington, daughter Dr. Ruth Herron Smalt, son-in-law Dr. Robert Smalt, and three grand-daughters, Robin, Lindy and Molly Smalt, all of Rye.
The Funeral Service was held at Rye Presbyterian Church. Internment was at Arlington National Cemetery.